Question
Posted by: anon | 2011-02-07

bleeding

my mother in law is 70. Two months ago she started bleeding from the rectum. she is not on med/aid and went to a govt hospital. the specialist booked her for a gastroscopy. on the day she didnt go in because she found out they dont give anaesethic!!! now this bleeding has started again. she is not feeling well and is very pale. I dont know what to do - do you think a visit to a GP can help her or can nothing be done without having the scope first?

Hallo Anon
The bleeding could be from a tumour or diverticulitis or inflammation of the colon so the scope is really needed. They can lose quite a bit of blood via the bowel, so she should not wait too long. A Gastroscopy or colonoscopy is not painful even without anaesthetic and it is over very quickly. I don't think the GP will be able to do much without knowing where the blood is coming from.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-02-07

Hallo Anon