Question
Posted by: Lilly | 2009-07-20

Bleeding

Good day. I stopped using my pill at the beginning of the year, missed my first month of period and from then on my cycle has been roundabout 50 days and lasts for up to 10 days (with light spotting for a couple of days afterwards) The period I started , lasted for 10 days, then on day 11, my husband &  I had intercourse, and afterwards the bleeding started again until day 14. Day 15&  16 I had really light spotting and day 17 (which is today) I have light bleeding and it seems like I am developing a case of infection. Aspecially today, the blood is a strange purplish colour. My last check up showed no abnormalities. (Also have been noticing that I do bleed for a couple of days after intercourse) Can you please try to help by suggesting why my periods last so long and why I bleed after intercourse? And what can the reason for the change in colour of my blood be? Thank You

It all sounds like a hormonal problem. Bleeding after intercourse may indicate a problem with the cervix and a pap smear would be necessary to exclude this. You should see your gynaecologist aout the irregular bleeding.