Question
Posted by: Anne | 2008/07/23

BLADDER PROBLEMS?

I have a 5 y.o son (turning 6 next month) who is still wetting his bed during the night. He sleeps very deep and does not wake up to go to the bathroom.

My concern is that he might have a problem. He have no problem during the day only at night. Can you help as he is going to Gr 1 next year.

Dear Anne
Bedwetting up to 6 years could still be regarded as "normal" and doctors usually only start treating it after 7 years of age. However it won't do any harm to have him evaluated by an urologist. Constipation, urinary tract infections and an irritable bladder could be causes.
See http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/children/parents/toilet/366.html

1
Posted by: Old Mom | 2008/07/24

My son did the same when he was very little. After many times of him wetting the bed I did the following. And whether it is right or not I dont know.. but I used to pick him up while he slept and take him to the bathroom to relieve himself. He never woke up at all and even lay like a plank in my arms but it stopped the bed wetting and he eventually grew out of it and would go himself.
He is now 25 and has no side effects of me having done that.

I hope you may find a solution to.

Reply to Old Mom