Question
Posted by: Tash | 2008/08/01

Bladder infection

I' m 25 weeks pregnant. I started having back pain a few weeks ago and then I lost my appetite. I started vommiting and going to the toilet more often than usual. I decided to go to the hospital when it got too painful and they admitted me. My doctor said I have UTI. I was there for 2 nights and I got antibiotics. I started feeling better but then I had trouble breathing but the nurses said it was nothing and they just switched the aircon on. I was discarged and for the next week I felt very good, no back pain or nausea, I had a lot of energy and I could breathe again. It is now a week and 2 days later and the back pain is back and I' m very tired. I keep on going to the toilet and one minute I' m hot and the next I' m freezing. It' s not normal back pain, a warm bath or massage doesn' t help. I had kidney infection long before I was pregnant and it feels the same. Could I have kidney infection? And what do I do about it. I feel embarresed to go to the doctor or hospital again because they make me feel as if I am wasting their time. They keep on saying its normal to have back pain during pregnacy but I can feel this is not right. Please tell me what to do...

You have to go back to your doctor. Kidney inferctions can be serious and the fever is not good.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2008/08/01

Then go to someone else. You have every right to seek medical advice, especially while pregnant, because you KNOW something is not right. No good hospital, doctor or hospital staff would EVER make a patient feel " guilty"  about going back because the same problem has returned. It is possible that your initial UTI had already progressed into a kidney infection without your doctor picking this up and the antibiotic treatment you had was not long/strong enough to treat it. 2 days doesnt sound right for that type of infection, even for IV treatment. I would have thought you should have had a 5 day course, i.e. why were you not given oral treatment when you went home? I am very aware of the problems of taking anything when pregnant, but heck when you are sick like you were, surely adequate medication treatment takes preferance over the problems of medication with a pregnancy? Was your doctor told about your breathing problems and was it your gynae who treated you? If you received this type of treatment from your gynae you need to find another one as this is no way to treat a patient.

Please find another doctor/gynae to go to - yo really dont want complications with your pregnancy. Untreated kidney infections can become serious and ultimately cause damage to your kidneys - I know I have chronic kidney problems - I have only 1 kidney and know how important it is not to ignore the type of symptoms you again have.

Please dont leave this - YOU know something is not right and need to have it checked out and there is NO need whatsover to feel guilty about doing so! Have a good weekend and keep warm!

Reply to anxious