Question
Posted by: anxious | 2009/11/05

BLADDER

I went to my urologist this am to have a catheter urine test - my results from Sat showed inconclusive results, i.e. contamination results - no significant cells but very high number of germs, something like 100 000. Both my gp and my urologist know that I cannot deal with " incomplete results"  when it comes to my urine tests! But then they also both agreed that the catheter test was a good idea, given my kidney problems history! My urologist seems to think it might be incomplete emptying of the bladder, also because he commented on the very strong smell of my sample. (I don' t get it all the time!)

My question: Is incomplete emptying of the bladder the same thing as overactive bladder? Earlier this year my urologist/gp gave me Enablex for 1 month which did help my going to the loo a million times! But prior to June this year I haven' t had any of these type of problems and when I do have it, its on and off, i.e. its not continuous. If I am guilty of not drinking enough water during the day, could this be contributing to this problem (contamination results). My problem remains, I dont like drinking too much because it means my going to the loo all the time. (Also I often just dont drink and dont even think about it!) As I said to my urologist this am I get so upset when my gp tells me the urine results show up contamination results! I try to do everything right to avoid this, i.e. MSU samples etc. and I still get them! I have to phone my urologist Mon for results. He hinted at maybe giving me medication but I have to wait till Mon to see.

Hi Anxious
Incomplete emptying of the bladder is not the same as overactive bladder. If the bladder is slightly dropped ( prolapsed) the bladder may not empty 100% when you go to the toilet and the teaspoon or urine that is left can cause infection. You need to drink enough fluids - at least 8 glasses a day to flush the kidneys.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/05

Hi Anxious

Reply to cyberdoc