Posted by: Ian | 2009-07-30

I find myself needing to go to the toilet often during the day and after passing urine , a small amount of urine leaks into my under wear. I am bloated and was diagnosed with a spastic colon a few years ago. My bowel movements are irregular as well and I am frequently constipated. Could my spastic colon have anything to do with the urine leakage? I have not experienced this leakage before.I am 42 years old and have had a vasectomy . I have not changed my diet or sleeping paterns.I am taking Welbutrin on a daily basis for about 8 months now. What causes this leakage and what medication can I take to relieve my problem?

Dear Ian
You are at the age where you may be at risk of having an enlarged prostrate (prostatism, it is called) Your doctor can determine this with a physical prostate exam and or a sonar. There are tablets one can take to reduce the size of the prostate. You also need to check for signs of urine infection and diabetes, which can cause you to often pass urine. You may have an "irritable bladder", but first exclude the more obvious causes for your symptoms, if needed your GP can refer you to an urologist for further examinations like a cystoscopy, (which is not always very pleasant for the patient).