Question
Posted by: NESH | 2009-02-24

blackstrap molasses

I was advised to take a tablespoon of blackstarp molasses a day, i reasearched it on the internet, it has excellent health benefits, i also read that molasses produces melanin in the skin, so does that mean it will change the colour of the skin causing it to become darker as melanini makes skin darker. I am of Indian decent and would not want to become any darker, i would also like to know if taking molasses benefits the skin in anyway

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Nesh, thank you for the question.

Molasses is a good source of iron and calcium, as well as potassium, magnesium, copper, manganese and Vitamin B6. There is no evidence that molasses increases melanin production but claims can be found that a reversal of grey hair is possible with the use of this substance.
This reversal is thought to be linked to the copper content rather than increasing the body’s melanin production. As far as I am aware of there is no evidence linking molasses with specific skin anti-ageing properties.