Question
Posted by: Adele | 2011-05-01

Blackouts

I am a 76 year old female. Never smoked. Had pacemaker put in last year, after a few blackouts. I still suffer from dizzyness and had a another 2 blackouts after the pacemaker! My dr changed my bloodpressure pills. I still feel dizzy and had another blackout! Please help, I dont know what to do!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Adele.

I'm sorry to hear you are still having blackouts despite a pacemaker. This of course implies that some or all of your blackouts are not due to excessively slow heart rates. Instead they are almost certainly due to episodes of low blood pressure - a very common problem in older people on blood pressure medication.

I would strongly recommend you go back to the cardiologist who implanted the pacemaker and get him/her to review the whole situation, especially the pacemaker settings and your blood pressure medication.

With careful adjustment of medication and the pacemaker, plus other simple things, eg elastic stockings if you have varicose veins, it should be possible to get rid of the blackouts.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-05-09

Hi Adele.

Reply to Cardiologist