Question
Posted by: Bronwyn | 2010/04/21

blackheads, wrinkles

I''m 31 years old and just fed up with uneven skin tone, blackheads, wrinkles and just general dull looking skin.
When I was 28 I went to see a dermatologist. I was shocked at what she said. At the time I was using Clinique products and had just been to a party where someone who knew me when I was younger passed a comment on how " old"  I looked.
My skin at the time was prone to breakouts and I have premature wrinkling around the eys and puffy eyes which just made the wrinkles look worse. Before I carry on let me just say I am a fair skinned red head - so I know this is against me already! At the consultation with the dermatologist she said I was wasting my money on all these products (cleanser, toner, eye cream and moisturiser, exfoliator) and the only thing I should be doing to my skin is washing it with any bar of soap that was in the shower. And that I should be protecting it from the sun by using (wait for it.... )Fissan Paste because of its high zinc content. So - thats what I did - for 2 years, then I dropped the Fissan Paste and started using Nivea Dn Age Factor 50 sunblock. Thats all I use - I wash it with soap, use a exfoliator once a week, and DnAge factor 50 every day. The only change that I''ve seen is a marked reduction in the puffiness around my eyes and I don''t have as many pimples anymore. But still got the blackheads, finelines around the eyes and wrinkles on my forehead and uneven skin tone. So - did I waste my money on this dermatologist? Or was she right about the whole beauty industry being a million dollar industry based on playing with the mind? I''m unemployed and busy studying towards a degree so I can''t afford to spend R200 on a facewash. Whats the solution - I''m getting married in a year - I''d like to look a bit more youthful!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Bronwyn, thank you for the question and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

The dermatologist you consulted is not 100% correct but she is also not 100% wrong.

Firstly a number of studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of certain ingredients that can over time make changes to the skin however where the dermatologist is correct is that we do not need to spend large amounts of money to get ‘good’ or effective topical products and these ingredients.
Furthermore I agree with her that toners, cleansers, and exfoliators are not a necessity for ones topical skin care regime but I would consider a cheap skin face wash that one can find at Pick n Pay or similar supplier.

Your most important topical product is a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and should be applied several times daily. Without a doubt it has been shown that UV damage is the single most important factor that ages the skin.

Secondly I would consider using ingredients that help to reduce the fine lines you have noticed and the texture irregularities and pores/blackheads.

Consider NeoStrata’s Ultra Smoothing Cream, Biohydrating Cream, and Oil Control Gel but my advice would be to try some samples first to ensure that no reaction takes place.
Furthermore one may consider NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels every 6 to 8 weeks (especially running up to your wedding) to further enhance the effectiveness of the products and the positive changes on the skin.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/04/25

Reply to anti-ageing expert