Posted by: Pore | 2009-01-12

Blackheads and open pores

Dear Cyberdoc

I don' t know who to ask (no skin forum). My mother of 66 has very large and significant blackheads on her face - I take them out gently for her (sides of upper cheeks mostly and open pores on her nose. I have never seen blackheads quite like this or so many...seriously. Other than going to a dermatologist what kind of treatment could she use for this? She does cleanse and moisturise. She has diabetes and is prone to dry skin. Is there a particular kind of toner she could use? Otherwise her skin is clear and no marks after extraction so to speak.

Dear Pore
blackheads are caused by sebum (skinoil) that gathers in the pores and then react with oxygen in the air to become black. Reducing oiliness will help prevent blackheads. Try something like a gentle face wash and benzoyl peroxide cream, if still a problem, she may need to get a prescription for a topical antibiotic lotion for the skin