Question
Posted by: camy | 2009-06-30

black toe nails

Hi doc, what causes ur toe nails to turn black and hard, and its the toe next to my big toe that is hard and black on both feet, how can I fix this and its embrassing.thank you

Expert ImageArchive

Dear camy

The most common cause of a black toenail is trauma, either one incident or repetitive micro trauma. This will cause bleeding under the nail which in time turns black. It could also be that you have a fungal nail infection which can cause discolouration and thickening of the nail. It is important that you toe is checked by a podiatrist or a dermatologist because another cause of black toenails is a melanoma which can be dangerous. I suggest you have it properly assessed to be sure.

Chris