Question
Posted by: YM | 2008/06/26

Black toe nails

I have 2 black toe nails after running Comrades. I initial thought it was the shoe but I ran Comrades 2007 in the same shoe & the same sock. I kept the shoe for 2008 Comrades and I ran 2 races prior to this year's Comrades. No problems but I have no idea why this has happened. I normally take a size 9 show but these shoes are a size 11. So the space btw my toes is enough...
Can you explain

It's either a shoe that is too small or too big, because either way, the front of the foot strikes the shoe, causing the damage.

As for why it happened, difficult to say. The temperature could have been a factor, because your foot might have swelled up a little, causing the relative size of the shoe to change compared to previous years. The distance is obviously crucial and it might be that your problems only started 70 km after starting. In that regard, comparing to previous runs is not really relevant, and so you would compare it only to other Comrades.

As for the size, maybe 11 is too big, and 10 and a half is better. It will go away, and hopefull not return, for what that is worth!

1

maybe you should ask the foot expert this question...