Question
Posted by: Boerboel | 2008/12/03

Black stool

My bitch has just had a 2nd litter and she is passing a soft black stool. I recall that this was the case with her first litter and that it cleared up within a week or so. I' m not sure whether this is normal. Should I be concerned?

Dear Boerboel

This is often the case after eating the placentas. No need to worry.

3
Posted by: WR | 2008/12/03

Let your Vet give her some Oxyticin. I always have it done just for incase.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Boerboel | 2008/12/03

Thank you.
I thought that may be a possibility, but I never had it with the previous bitch. Since the time of the first post, it already seems to be clearing up.
However, one of the pups came out with the sack already burst and the placenta remained inside. She is still discharging after three days which I consider to be good under the circumstances as it will help to clear the muck from her uterus.
What should I look out for as a sign of internal infection?

Reply to Boerboel
Posted by: WR | 2008/12/03

It ia normal. It is because of all the blood, aftebirth etc that she ate/licked during the birth.

And it usually smells TERRIBLE!  -)

Reply to WR