Question
Posted by: Nani | 2008/10/16

Black spots

I have been diagnosed with Dermatosis Papulosa nigra (DPN). I have these black spots on my skin and they are spreading. New ones are forming everyday. Please help me. What are some of the treatments I can do to alleviate the problem? Are there any glycolic acid creams that you know of that can be effective? please help me.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Nani, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with your answer but I have just returned from my London clinic.

DPN is a fancy name for a common and entirely benign condition and is characterized by growth on the face and neck of multiple pigmented papules that can be flat or slightly elevated from the skin.
Treatment for cosmetic reasons consists of:
Snipping the lesions at their base (if smaller than 2mm).
Electrodesiccation of the lesions with the use of local anesthetic.

These lesions should not be frozen as it may leave hypopigmented lesions.
Unfortunately there are no creams or topical products that I know of that will remove the DPN.