Question
Posted by: Nthabiseng | 2011/03/16

Black Marks

Dear Doctor,
I have black spots on my face. I have been going to the same demartologist since 2004 during the time that I am using his solutions and night cream the spots fade away but as soon as I stop using them they resurface. I am so tired of consulting every 3 or so months as if I have a chronic condition. He refuses to recommend something that I can get over the counter which can give me the same results. Could you recommend something good that I can use please? I do not go out without a wearing a sun screen, 30spf.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Nthabiseng, thank you for the question.

From your description it seems that you are suffering from some form of pigmentory marks and unfortunately pigmentation is typically not only found on the surface of the skin but also in the epidermal (just below the surface) and in the deeper dermal layer. Treatment should therefore be seen as management rather than as a ‘cure’.

Your first line of treatment is topical products which include depigmenting creams and a SPF 30 or higher that must contain zinc and/or titanium dioxide. My suggestions for depigmenting creams are NeoStrata’s Depigmenting Cream and the Brightening Cream or Lumixyl (there are no over the counter products that are as effective). I would also consider adding NeoStrata’s peeling regime with depigmenting booster pads or the DermaCeutic’s milk and spot treatment peels. Further improvement (long term) will be achieved with fractional skin resurfacing technologies or certain IPL treatments that are specifically indicated for darker skin types (please note that very few IPL based machines can be safely used in skin type 3 and darker).

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/03/21

Reply to anti-ageing expert