Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/08/03

Bitten and Scar

Hi There

My staffy got bitten under the nose by a nasty old grumpy dogsunday at on a walk. The VET said I must just leave it to heal as its under the nose and everything I put on he will just lick off. Its really a nasty scratch just under the nose, skin off. Its seem to be healing nicely.

My question is if there is anything I can use to help with the scaring as I dont want that ugly scar on his face.

I have def learned from the experience as ozzy is now 9 months and even if I am walking him minding my own business other dogs wants to snap at him. Dont know why this is?

He doesnt show signs of aggresion or anything.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, firstly you really are so fortunate to have a dog that doesnt react! Is he perhaps entire? (not sterilized). If he is intact that could well be the reason why other dogs are snapping at him - he simply smells different, smells like a threat to other dogs. What I would do whether sterilized or not, is to teach him to 'watch me' exercise, as it could be that his social signals are not that good and he is inadvertantly 'staring' at another dog. In 'dog language' this indicates aggression and they may be reacting accordingly. By teaching him the 'watch me' exercise if you see another dog coming towards you, watch him and if he is staring, tell him to 'watch' you. that way he is giving and offering a calming signal.
With regards to the scarring, although I cant guarantee the results, TTouch is a wonderful tool not just for behavioural concerns but also for physical one's and speeds up the healing process, especially the Racoon and Snail's Tail touches. You can either get hold of a practitioner to help you with this or even buy a book on the basics on line from the Ttouch site.
Good luck thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/04

Good luck thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert