Posted by: Belinda | 2009-09-02

Biting spot

Dear Doc

For the last few days I have had a biting pain under my arm, on my chest paralllel to the bottom of my breast. It is tender to touch, and yesterday there was a thin red line. The line is not there today but the tenderness is still there. My husband try to feel if he felt something there and he said he thinks there is a swollen lumpy feel, but he is not sure. I can feel it if I lie on the opposite side, but not if I stand. The pain is not affected by movement and sometimes there is nothing apart from the tenderness for hours and then this sharp bite again. I have not worn a bra for a few days to see if maybe it is my bra that is hurting me. Could this be muscular? How long do I leave it before seeing my gp?

Hallo Belinda
It sounds more like a nerve pain to me - watch out for blisters in the area as herpes zoster (shingles) can start like this - if you do get blisters please get antiviral medication within 24 hours if possible.
It may also be a pinched skin nerve between the muscles if you picked up something heavy. Try Voltaren jel on the area if the skin is not broken.