Question
Posted by: hayley | 2012/03/28

biting peoples ankels when they leave

i have boarder collie that nips people''s feet when they leave, she is 3 and a bit years old and i cannot seem to get her to stop doing this.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Hayley, wonderful dogs have one myself. What is happening is that your border collie is just doing what it was bred for - think about it, how do they herd sheep? by nipping and chasing!

this is an in-bred behaviour and one a dog like this will always be prone too, what your best option to do is rather than shouting at her to stop (which will make it worse as she thinks your joining in) is to train a completely different alternative behaviour for when people leave the home.

Teaching her the basic 'stay' command is really the easiest way to overcome this problem.If you are not sure how to teach a dog to do this, please let me know and i will give you directions on how to achieve a good, reliable stay. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/03/29

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert