Posted by: T | 2009-08-31

biting nails

Hi Dr

My step son is almost 5 and has started biting his nail. As far as i know its a sign of stress or insecurity.
I feel that he lives in a turbulent household and i am noticing these small things lately.
am i just being paranoid?

It can indeed be a sign of stress of wory, but is actually very common even in kids with no obvious stress or worries, and usually a phase they imply grow out of. Sometimes it gets worse for a while when a great deal of attention is paid to it. Generally, I wouldn't intervene except in the uncommon cases where the biting is severe and leading to significant nail or fi ger damage, when disussion with the kid of its disadvantages and the use of a bitter solution painted onto the nails ( to help remind him of his new resolve to stop biting ) usually works.