Question
Posted by: Sara | 2009-08-20

Bites

My 3yr old has bites all over his legs, tummy, back, ears. Our pets are de-fleaed. They do not sleep with him. I have fumigated his mattress and vacuumed it. His linen is clean but every morning he wakes up with another bite. No-one else in the family has bites. How do I know that is bites and not an allergy or impetigo. And how do we treat it. I am using allergex and calomine lotion or a mild anthistamine cream that I got from the pharmacy. He scratches terribly. It sarts as a bump like a mosquit bite and then goes red after he scratches. He is not sick in any way.

dear Sara
Check for bloody spots on the linen, and see if the bites are in clusters or in a line - these are indications that it is probably due to an insect - could be fleas, bedbugs or mosquitos. Impetigo is more an infection of a follicle usually presenting with a yellow pus point. Allergies usually causes big round itchy areas called hives. Let your doctor/pharmacist also have a look?

1
Posted by: Michelle | 2009-08-20

Hi Sara

Fleas from dogs wont bite your child. It is a different kind of flea that bites humans. In afrikaans we call it a " sandvlooi" . I had the same problem when my little one was younger. Cold water wash dont kill fleas, and believe me it might be only one single flea that is hiding in his blanket, pajamas, etc. If you wash the bedding, pajamas etc do it in very hot water. You can also spray the room, carpets with Dyflea which you will get at your supermarket. Do it early in the day and then leave the room windows open for the rest of the day. Good luck.

Reply to Michelle