Posted by: GA | 2010-10-01

Bite on knee, very swollen

Yesterday I went to a park and later I noticed a little bite/sting on my hand and another one on my knee, I don''t think they were by the same insect/bug because my hand is okay, but my knee is very swollen and it''s getting worse each hour. It started around 16 hours ago. There is a little area without skin that is also very sticky, which makes me think it must be a bite and not a sting. I haven''t scratched it, nor does it itch as much as a mosquito sting. But if I touch it, it hurts. I have no fever.

Will it go away by itself?

You are correct in assuming that it is a bite and not a sting. We can only speculate about what bit you but now you are experiencing severe inflammation and oedema in the area. You will have to consult a doctor for an examination. In the interim, you can apply Bactroban ointment to the area and use Ibuprofen 400mg, three times daily to alleviate the swelling.

Posted by: GA | 2010-10-02

I am scared that this might be gout. The other day, I told you about my painful toe and you said it might be gout. Well, this knee is on the same leg, plus the pain on my toe has extended all the way to my ankle, like in a thin line only, not all over my foot. It hurts more if I run and it usually doesn''t hurt when I wake up. My foot isn''t swollen and the surface looks totally normal.

Do you think this could be gout? Is it likely that the sticky liquid on my knee has to do with it?

Reply to GA
Posted by: GA | 2010-10-02

Now, almost 24 hours after yesterday''s post, my knee seems a little less swollen, but it''s incredibly itchy now and now when I press it it doesn''t hurt anymore. But the spot is still red and very warm to the touch.

Reply to GA