Posted by: Shimy | 2009-01-23

Bit of Blood in Stool

Good Morning Cybervet
I am looking for your opinion (and other readers) on the following :
My baby Persian was born on the 20.09.2008. I got her from the breeder last Friday 23.01.2009.
On Monday 19.01.2009 the breeder took her to the vet, as she saw a streak of bllod in her stool. The vet put her on Hills Instestinal food for a few days. Then I got her. On Sunday, 2 days after I got her I noticed a blood piece and blood streaks in her stool. I took her to the vet (same vet as the breeder) on Monday. He said that it is caused by the bad diet that the breeders feed the Persian kittens to fatten them up. She was being fed raw topside mince and ox heart in the evenings and kitten pellets in the morning.
The vet said to keep her on only the Hills kitten pellets and nothing else, so that her system can adjust, and then the blood will go away. That is what I have been doing.
Last night I saw a blood splat on my dining room table. It was about the size of a 50c piece, and watery. I checked my kittens bum, and saw it was damp with blood, but not constantly running blood. This morning there was another blood streaked stool in the litter box.
I phoned my vet this morning, and he told me not to worry, just to keep her on the Hills, and in the next week or so it should clear up. He said the bad diet (topside etc) is too rich for kittens, and that will cause her to strain to pass stools, which will cause blood.

I know, he said not to worry, but what do you think, should I rather find another vet, or should I wait like he said ?
This is the first purebread cat I have ever had, and I don' t want anything to happen to her.
Apart from that she is fine, eating, drinking, and playing with my 7 other cats (all moggies rescued from various situations)
Thank you so much !

Dear Shimy

I think it will be fine just to leave it for another couple of days. This is a common problem with kittens adjusting to new diets. I would recommend that you put protexin on the kittens for the next few months. This helps them to adjust very quickly to new diets.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-23

I also haven' t heard of this, but have some observations. First, a TINY bit of blood goes a long way, so a pretty minor thing can look much worse than it is. Second - is the kitten ok in other respects? Is she lively, playful, keen on her food, etc? If so, then I would follow the vet' s advice and not worry too much.

The other thing is, of course, that one can keep changing vets until one gets the answer one thinks sounds best - but I really don' t think that serves any purpose.

Just hang in there and see what happens.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-23

hmmm .. I havent heard of this .. but that doesnt mean it isnt so.. just that I havent come across it before.

How is his stool otherwise??? just keep a close eye on him .

Reply to Carol