Question
Posted by: Charlotte | 2012/03/18

Bisopropol, coughing, and cold remedies

I am a 29 y/o female with history of sinus tachycardia for 2 years following parvovirus b19 infection, and viral thyroiditis. I have just started taking bisopropol this week (2.5mg a day). I have no history of asthama, but did get short of breath during viral infection and was prescribed flovent discus for a few months. I do not take it now. The bispopropol gives me quite bad coughing fits for a few hours after I take each tablet. Is this normal? Will it go away? I am supposed to increase does to 5mg after 1 week but am thinking the coughing may get worse?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for your question. Parvovirus infection should not normally cause sinus tachycardia, unless you have myocarditis. Have you had an ECG and/or an echocardiogram? Thyroiditis of course may certainly cause a tachycardia if the thyroid is overactive, but the tachycardia should disappear once thyroid function returns to normal.

Bisoprolol does not cause a cough. and I suspect the cough when you started bisoprolol is simply coincidence and was due to something different. .If you want to test the relationship between bisoprolol and coughing, then I would simply wean yourself off bisoprolol over a period of a few days, wait a week until the cough has completely gone, and then re-start bisoprolol. My guess is the cough will not reappear.
2.5 mg of bisoprolol would normally be an adequate daily dose for a young woman with sinus tachycardia and it should not normally be necessary to increase the dose to 5 mg per day, but please discuss this with your doctor.

With every good wish, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/03/22

Dear Charlotte,

With every good wish, JT

Reply to Cardiologist