Question
Posted by: leila | 2011-09-30

birthmark

Is there any way of removing a birthmark?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Leila, thank you for the question.

Birthmarks are typically formed as an irregularity on the skin which is present at birth or appears shortly after birth, usually in the first month. They can occur anywhere on the skin. Birthmarks are caused by overgrowth of blood vessels, melanocytes (pigment cells), smooth muscle, fat, fibroblasts, or keratinocytes.
They typically are divided into two broad groups:

Pigmented birthmarks caused by excess skin pigment cells include moles, café-au-lait spots, and Mongolian spots.

Vascular birthmarks (also called red birthmarks) are caused by increased blood vessels and include macular stains (salmon patches), hemangiomas, and Port-wine stains.

Most birthmarks can be treated using lasers that target either the veins or the pigment and occasionally when both are present; my advice would be to consult with your family physician or a dermatologist who can examine the birthmark and guide you in the best treatment options.

1
Posted by: Leila | 2011-10-19

I would just like to thank you very much for the information
and for taking the time to explain. Well done.

Reply to Leila