Posted by: Mom to be | 2009-09-01

Birthing options and panic attacks

I suffer from severe panic attacks - typical symptoms during an attack are hyperventilation, nausea, a great deal of vomiting, mild to severe runny tummy, extreme fear, shaking and fainting

How do my attacks affect my unborn baby?

What is my best birthing option in light of my panic attacks?

I want to have a natural birth but I know that exhaustion and pain are my panic triggers and I was told that if I have a panic attack while in labour this can harm or even kill the baby - is this true?

I have been told by lots of my friends to just have a planned C section but I wil be paralysed (epidural) - that feeling of claustrophobia and being trapped - I cannot stand it and I know it will cause an attack - I cant even stand in an elevator!

And if I vomit while lying on my back like that I could very well choke!

Is there any other birthing option?

As far as we know, the baby would not be affected.
If pain and exhaustion trigger your attacks, then an epidural in labour should help with this. Epidurals these days allow some movement - you are not completely paralysed. I suggest that you discuss these options with your gynaecologist and psychiatrist.

Posted by: Nat | 2009-09-01

I hear water birth is really great.

Reply to Nat