Question
Posted by: Cher | 2011/03/09

Birth options

My husband and I have recently decided that we would like to have another baby. And even though I have not yet conceived I''m considering all birth options.

I had a c-section with my first child as I went into labour at 36 weeks and the baby was in distress. It was EXTREMELY sore, for months on end after the birth. Do you think I would be able to have natural child birth with my second child. My first child is turning 4 this year?

And secondly, is there such a thing as pain-free natural child birth (without the epidural). I want to be able to get up and walk after I''ve had my baby?

My husband is not to keen on me having a natural childbirth. He thinks it will stretch the inside of my vagina and we won''t be able to have the same intimate relationship thereafter. Is that true?

After a caesarean your chances of natural childbirth are less, though not impossible.It would depend on various factors sucha s how the pregnancy progresses and the size of the baby. You would not be pain free without an epidural, though there are various ways of managing pain in labour. There is some stretching of the vagina with childbirth but in most women it does not affect intercourse.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011/03/09

There are some gynae''s willing to let you try to have a natural birth after a c-section, though they are hard to find.

Yoru vagina will go back to its usual size within about 6 weeks after the birth, sometimes it takes a little longer, but kegel excercises will help.

Hypnobirthing practitioners claim its possible to have a pain free birth. I don''t know of anyone who has had such a birth though. Why not read up on it and try to find a course in your area and speak to people who have had such a birth experience. It''s all a bit hippyish for my liking, but its clearly right for some people.

Reply to Purple