Question
Posted by: TC | 2009-09-02

Birth Mark

My daughter who is now 4 was born with a light brown dot (Birth Mark) on her left arm (close to the writst). As she has gotten bigger the dot has gotten bigger. It has never changed its shape - always been round. Just reciently I have noticed one single black hair growing out of it.

Should I be concerned about it

Dear TC

You probably do not have to be concerned. Signs of skin cancer:
A new, possibly large, irregularly shaped, dark brownish spot with darker or black areas.
A simple mole that changes in color (particularly turning darker), size (growing), or texture (becoming firmer), and/or flakes or bleeds.
A suspicious change in an existing mole or spot.
A lesion with an irregular border and red, white, blue, gray, or bluish-black areas or spots.
Shiny, firm, dome-shaped bumps anywhere on the body.
Dark lesions under the fingernails or toenails, on the palms, soles, tips of fingers and toes, or on mucous membranes (skin that lines the mouth, nose, vagina, and anus).
A sore that doesn't heal within two weeks.