Question
Posted by: Charne | 2010-03-17

Birth defects

Hello.

Thank-you for your help with my previous questions. I used 800mg cytotec when I was 11 weeks pregnant and 400mg when I was 12 weeks. The pregnancy has continued and at my 13 week 5 day downs screening, everything appeared normal, except the heat rate which was 172 bpm.

I was too ashamed to tell the doc (not my gynae) about the tablets.

What are the chances of it having caused birth defects, and when will I know for certain? Will it show up on the ultrasound at 18-20 weeks, or will I have to wait until the baby is born?

I made a really stupid mistake by taking the tablets, and I don''t want my unborn child to suffer the consequences of my actions. I also until 11 weeks used myprodol and took 2 dostinex(?) to dry up my breast milk (which has not been successful.

I hope you can assist. Thank-you for everything.

Kind Regards

Möbius' syndrome (congenital facial paralysis) and limb defects have occurred in the infants of women who have taken misoprostol during the first trimester in an unsuccessful attempt to induce abortion.The absolute risk of this syndrome is probably low among all women exposed to misoprostol in the first trimester. In a recent study of 4673 malformed infants and 4980 control infants, the Latin American Collaborative Study of Congenital Malformations noted an increased frequency of transverse limb defects, ring-shaped constrictions of the extremities, arthrogryposis, hydrocephalus, holoprosencephaly, and exstrophy of the bladder, but not Möbius' syndrome, in infants exposed to misoprostol in utero.
Most of these abnormalities should show up on a scan at 20 weeks. It is important that you tell your doctor so that you can be referred for a detailed scan.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-03-18