Posted by: Kathy | 2012-09-26

birth control and epilepsy

i am an epileptic currently on Epilim 200mg(+- 5years), folic acid and minerva(6 years+-) for my acne. my last seizure was Feb 2011 although i still experience the auras.

i am a virgin getting married in 3 months and would like some advise. firstly, should i consult a GP or gynea? since i am epileptic does that not make things complicated. i need advise regarding contraception and what happens when i want to fall pregnant. what risks are there if i fall pregnant unexpectedly while taking epilim?

what kind of precautions should i be taking? i dont want to decrease my chances of falling pregnant when i want to.

It would be advisable to see agynaecologist as anti-epileptics do influence the contraception you can use. When you plan a pregnancy you should chnage from Epilim to carbamazepine which has fewer side effects to the pregnancy.