Posted by: SJ | 2009-03-25

Birth control

I was taking the nuristerate injection for 6 years or so. I had a cyst removed from my ovary 3 years ago. A few months ago i was told i had another cyst on my ovary and to stop the injection and to use Yasmin pills. I did this and have taken yasmin for 3 months (the cyst was gone after my first mestrual cycle the first month of pills).

I have now stopped the pills in an attempt to fall pregnant. How badly affected is my body now from the years of birth control use? How long can i expect to wait before i am pregnant?

Dear SJ

In general return to fertility should be fairly rapid and one could expect a pregnancy within the first 6 months. However the use of injectable contraception is associated in some cases with a prolonged return to ovulation and in some cases the effects may persist beyond a year and can be as long as 2 years. The best advise is to start ovulation monitoring from Day 10 of each cycle using the urine LH testing kits (Clearplan, etc.) and in so doing try to establish not only ovulation patterns but also assist in timing intercourse more accurately.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim