Posted by: Donna | 2008-12-01

Birth &  Herpes

I' m 6 weeks pregnant and have in the passed had genital herpes. I know this condition stays within your system. I have researched and have found out that a natural birth is not possible and I will have to have a caesarian so as not to pass infection onto baby. I' m not sure if this info is true. I' m very worried about implications for baby during pregnancy and birthing? What can I do?

Pease help as I am very worried!

The main time for transmission is around delivery. If you have active herpes at this time, a caesarean is best. Some women 'shed' the virus though they do not have active lesions and therefore mant women opt to have a caesarean anyway to be on the safe side.