Question
Posted by: Anri | 2012/04/23

Bipoler vs Emotional intellegence

Prof Simpson

How do a shrink know for sure that somebody is Bipoler? How can one determine whether you are just moody or bipoler or a lack of emotional intellegence.

Sometimes i wonder why doctors describe meds so quickly. For me, and this is my personal opinion. Meds doesnt solve your problems. It can make you cope better. But if the problem is deeper, no pill will save you. No pills will take your problems away.

I went to a shrink about two years ago and he said he can do CBT counselling, but it will take many sessions. He rather prescibed pills, because that will be quicker than CBT councelling. Needless to say, i never went back to him or any other shrink.

Is bipoler a genetic thing? Are you born with this? Is there a possibility that if i am Bipoler i can transfer it to my children or maybe one of them? Can a event like rape, trigger Bipoler?

I told you what happened and that i was raped while i was 4 months pregnant. I did book an appointment to see a shrink, but the thing is, i dont know how to talk about this or anything. I dont know how to cope.

How does one know anything for sure ? In recent years much care has been taken to make any diagnosis more sure and useful ; it's no longer good enough for a doc to just scratch his chin and say "Gee, I think it's X "
There are now 2 sets of internationally agree criteria drawn up by large groups of experts and many of them also tested in research, and these criteria say, for instance to diagnose X Disorder, the person should have at least 4 of these 6 symptoms, and 3 of those 4, and none of these 2 factors. So IF the doc has been properly trained, they should be able to make reasonably reliable and useful diagnoses.
Now I am also worried about those shrinks and GPs who prescribe too quickly and readily.
OFten discussion and counselling will solve a problem BETTER than meds, and specific methods like CBT even more so. And it depends on the diagnosis. If there are marriage problems, no drug helps that, but counselling will help.
But in other conditions, like Bipolar Disorder, medicines can make a very major diference in controlling the excessive and even possibly dangerous as well as unpleasant mood swings, which are usually beyond control by purely talking / counselling methods alone.
CBT usually does NOT require very many sessions, though its no quick fix - but in wisely rejecting the quicke prescription quick fix, you'd surely prefer a sure fix, by which you can learn to handle and cope with your problems, to just enduring them ?
Bipolar does ndeed have a large genetic element - some of us are born ( especially if one or more parents had it ) with a higher than average risk of developing such a condition.
If you are Bipolar, it doesn't mean all your children WILL develop Bipolar Disorder, but they wil have a slightly higher risk of doing so than if neither of their parents had the disorder.
Horrible experiences like rape, even though some of us seem to survive it without showing major problems, can easily cause a range of problems including anxiety, depression, and PTSD. THey don't cause bipolar disorder itself, but might encourage it to show itself earlier than otherwise.
Sounds like you're right, and you should indeed see a good local psychiatrist. Don't worry too much about how to talk about all this - if he/she's any good at all as a shrink, they should put you at your ease and help you to talk about it - that's their job.

2
Posted by: Info | 2012/04/24

I''ve read up on this since I''ve been diagnosed with BP2. It seems to me that you have to have at least one Manic episode (google this).

I have the best Shrink and the med helps me tremendously.

Goood luck

Reply to Info