Question
Posted by: Anri | 2011/11/21

Bipoler / Epitec

Good day Cyber shrink or any one who can give me guidance

Currently i have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2. The doctor put me on Epitec. Starting with 25 mg and moving up to 100mg.

Can anyone on this medication tell me, if you experience a difference in mood? Will this pill do magic? I am not a pill popper at all, but i feel i really need something to keep my mood stable. And i am worried if i get on this pill, will i ever be without it. Is this a life long battle?

What other side effects can i expect?

Another question: Why does this type of pills cause weight gain and how can this be controlled? Weight issues is part of most woman''s depression. Now we must drink stuff that cause terrible weight gain. Why is that?

Thanking you in advance

Epitec is a generic version of the drug originally released as lamictin, and can be really useful in managing depression in bipolar disorder. No pills do magic. But they can be really helpful. In Bipolar Disorder the challenge is to find ways to both manage the depressions and the highs as they occur, and also to use other drugs properly to control and reduce the mood swings, thus we also use Mood Stablizers.
So its good that you're not a pill popper in the frivolous sense hat some people do use drugs too eagerly, but using meds you need, is sensible .
I do hope you have been assed and are being treated by a Psychiatrist - bipolar disorder may be identified by a good GP, but should never be treated entirely by a GP, without the assessmetn and diagnosis being checked by a qualified specialist, who should also decide on and monitor treatment.
Usually, Bipolar Disorder needs more than a single medication, so your own psychiatrist needs to discuss this with you, incluing side-effects and benefits.
Various meds used for various reasons may include weight gain as a potential side effect, and this includes quite a few antidepressants. A newly released antidepressant, Agomelatine, seems effetive for depression, but does NOT cause weight gain or the sexual side-effects some others do ( they may, for instance, cause a lack of sexual desire, and related problems in performance ).
DO, please, arrange to discuss all these issues with your psychiatrist, whose job it is to do this, taking into acount all the extra information he must have about your history and your problems. And if you are so far only being treated by a GP, do insist on being refered to a good psychiatrist for re-assessmetn and a detailed discussion of treatment options

19
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/02/03

Hi. So you are not supposed to consume any alcohol with Epitec? What if you have been on this medication for a very long time, 11 years, could it potentially damage my liver?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/01

I am on epitec for 5 months and i'm gaining weight like nobody's bussiness.Is it possible for me to get a lower dosage or anything else to drink. I' am also bloated and it makes me more depressed.

Posted by: Gio | 2015/06/08

My wife just started epitec. When should she take it. Morning or evening! She has her ips and downs and gets depressed very easy for stupid things, does it matter if she takes it in the evening or in the morning, no one told her wen to take it, im thinking if she takes it at night she is defeating the object, cos wen she wakes up, she will be back to square 1, so it only happens in the day that she gets depro and mood swings. Pls assist.

Reply to Gio
Posted by: Gio | 2015/06/08

Reply to Gio
Posted by: Gio | 2015/06/08

Reply to Gio
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/25

I have been recently put on Epitec 25 and i have been taking anti-depressants as i have been diagnosed with anxiety.Could the fact that i have been put on epilec mean that i have Bipolar???

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/14

I am on Epitec 600mg per day. I used to take it without thinking too much about it. Then yesterday I ran out and could not replenish in time. Not having taken Epitec last night, this morning I am anxious, sweaty, unbalanced and generally out of sorts. I am waiting for the new prescription. Could this be my imagination?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/02/28

Hi, I am on 500 mg Epitec and have similar symptoms like you describe when I forget to take it. When I feel this, I realise that I forgot to take it and I take it as soon as possible. Within a few hours I feel normal again. With help of my psychiatrist I have tried several medications for my Bipolar2 and Epitec worked best for my mood swings and depression. I don't mind the fact that I feel "funny" when I forget it, because it helps me to keep taking it.

Posted by: Peter | 2015/02/13

My son is bi polar and is on epitec. He has no appetite and struggles to eat once a day, and only enough to satisfy a 5year old. He drinks wine every day after 4pm. He often drinks without eating at all. He had to leave his apartment and is now living with us. His lifestyle is hard to live with. I find it interesting to read about people having weight problems on epitec! How do I deal with this?

Reply to Peter | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/26

I am on Epitec (100mg) - can't eat, can't sleep - I keep hearing about people putting on weight and I am doing the opposite. Seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow for advice!

Posted by: Jeshmeer | 2016/01/02

Hi, I am on epitec, you cannot take alcohol with any psychiatric meds, it doesn't work.

Posted by: Den. | 2014/09/10

I too have a problem with the weight I am gaining. I take 25mg Epitec in the morning ( with .5mg alprazolam and 20mg escitalopram) and 100mg at night (with .5mg alprazolam and 25mg quetipine), I also need to take 15mg purata every now and then when I feel an anxiety attack coming. But still, even though the Epitec really makes me feel good and friendly, the deppression just sets in worse when i see myself of yet another dress / pants etc doesn't fit anymore. Do I want to be fat and happy or sexy and unhappy - or dead for that matter? I really don't know. I hate fat. I miss my body. I have run out of epitec 2 days ago, can't quite afford it right now, so I thought I'd see if I'll be okay. Well. 2 days. I can definitely feel it! I don't feel like smiling or talking to anybody. So I definitely have to refill my script... today! Fat and happy. Yes.

Reply to Den.
Posted by: Tom | 2014/09/02

My mother is currently using the following medication: Epitec 25mg x 2 per day Camcolit 400 x 1 per day Aspen Clozapine 100mg x 1 per day Sandoz Gliclazide 80 x 2 per day Serdep 150mg x 1 per day Mylon Metformin 850 x 2 per day She suffers from extreme fatique, restlessness, swollen legs and feet and tremors. Is this normal to take so many medication for depression? Please help.

Reply to Tom
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/05

Has anyone taking Epitec for an extended time experienced mild numbness and or slight tingling in the fingertips and feet, and a sense of muscle weakness? I take 100mg a day, and have had this for a while, its been investigated by a neurologist who found nothing wrong (so evidence of a dread disease). Its not listed as a side effect. I have experienced slow steady weight gain on Epitec, have counter-acted that by adding the anti-anxiolytic Molipaxin at night which also helps me sleep well. I find Epitec has really helped me stay on an even keel mood wise, I do brisk walking three times a week and Nia dancing which also helps to keep the weight at bay. But it definitely makes me want to eat more, especially carbs...

Posted by: Claudia | 2014/04/12

Ive been diagnosed fot Biopoler depression. .. started on epitec 25mg for 3weeks ..im two weeks I have gainef 3.5 kg an that makes me more depressed.. now I must start taking 50mg. Will regular excercise an trying my utmost best yo still eat healthy as I did before ? Please advise asap

Reply to Claudia
Posted by: Epitec | 2013/10/03

I was prescribed epitec 25mg for the first 2 weeks and thereafter 50mg for another 2 weeks, after which I must see the psychiatrist again. I have gained weight because I'm eating more. It's a problem for me, I'm 5 ft 9. I started drinking water but the weight gain was before I started drinking water. The pills are not going to work because I'm depressed, I'm fat, I don't like what I see in the mirror.

Reply to Epitec
Posted by: Jeanine | 2013/06/24

hi, I've been suffering with heavy fast heartbeats and my chest feels heavy tight and makes my breathing hard, can that be any side effects of using epitec 200mg with biopolar 1? I've been on this meds from January 2013.

Reply to Jeanine | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Ilse | 2014/10/24

Hi there, I also got the heartbeat problems and have gone down to 100mg. Speak to your doctor