Posted by: Jessy | 2011-08-22

Bipolar/Schizophrenia &  having children

My partner &  I are thinking about having a child. Unfortunately we both have a bad family history with metal illness. My uncle is a paranoid schizophrenic, My gran tell me her uncle was a paranoid schizophrenic as well. in both cases they were fine till about 20/21 &  then the disease became apparent. So it seems to run in every second male generation My partner is Bipolar, So is his mother. I would like to know if it is possible to pick up bipolar/schizophrenia in an unborn fetus? What are the chances that our child will be mentally ill? and is it at all possible to treat the fetus so as not to be bipolar/Schizophrenic? Should My partner &  I have children at all?

I suggest that you consult your doctor to have DNA tests done on both you and your partner to establish if there is a possibility that you will pass a defective gene to your child that is a cause for bipolar disease or schizophrenia. To predict if someone will become schizophrenic or bipolar is very difficult, as there are many factors that contributes to the development of these conditions. Genetics do play a role and special tests can be done, to predict a risk factor. If a close relative does have this condition, there is a 6.5% percent risk that it will be passed on to your children.

Please refer to the following link for more information: