Question
Posted by: cindy | 2012/06/14

bipolar testing

my sister has been cutting her self for years and when she fell pregnant i took her to a ot for depression, she was also put on medication. she has been off them for 1 year and has started cutting herself, disappearing, constant stange mood swings, irrational , lies , innsomnia. she has gone to a social worker for help, but this women has indicated that she is not qualified enough to deal with her. who can i take her to, i fear for her saftey . Currently her son is in my care( he is 2)

Why on earth would anyone ever take anyone to an OT for Depression ? No OT is qualified to make such a diagnosis or to treat it, especially when there are complex issues like self-cutting involved. An OT can't ever prescribe medication, so maybe ot was a misprint for GP ? But with a situation this complex, a GP isn't the right person either, and she should see a properly qualified speciialist psychiatrist, for a full assessment and careful treatment. And from the sound of it, fairly urgently, too.

4
Posted by: Maria | 2012/06/14

Does she have a GP you could at least consult for advice? Do you think she is dangerous, to herself or other people? I think put your question about legal action in a new thread so the CS will see it.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: CINDY | 2012/06/14

no history of drugs, alchol abuse. how do i get her to go to one though. legally what can i do

Reply to CINDY
Posted by: Maria | 2012/06/14

Neither an OT nor a social worker should be dealing with Depression, Bipolar or whatever challenges it is that your sister faces. Is she maybe using drugs? She must be seen by a psychiatrist who can determine the best course of action.

Reply to Maria