Posted by: Martie | 2009-09-25

Bipolar Teenage Daughter

My daughter just came out a clinic which helped her to learn the life skills and to cope with bipolar. I' m worried that although she is very positive that she will fall back to her old depressed self. I don' t know what to do for her anymore as I cannot keep on rescuing her from every situation.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Martie,

bipolar is a very challenging condition, and there is always a fear that a depressive episode is never far away. the life skills that your daughter learned at the clinic would have also included relapse prevention work, to help her spot the signs and symptoms at an earlier stage. One thing I would suggest is speaking to the professionals who assisted your daughter at the clinic, and ask if they run any support groups for family members, or if you could meet with one of them to discuss your concerns and fears.

You are right that you cannot always rescue her, and of course this does not allow your daughter to learn from any potential mistakes. But your daughter will benefit from getting constructive support, that is also honest, including not rescuing her.

Bipolar can have a devastating effect on the person and their family, so ensuring they and you have the correct kind of support is essential to all of your wellbeing.