Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-07

Bipolar research study

My psychiatrist asked me whether I wanted to take part in a research study. This isn' t drug trials though. It involves stuff like MRI Scans, a certain type of CBT (I didn' t know there are different types!) and other medical tests. I' m excited about taking part but I am very scared of needles. I' m also only seeing my psychiatrist on the 22nd again. Do you know of any new bipolar studies at UCT and what it entails?

I'd guess the scans and tests are for assessment, and would apply to everyone. YOur psych should be specific ( he should have the protocol in writing, actually ) about the details including WHAT tests would be done. Usually proper research would compare one treatment ( like the CBT ehre ) with another, perhaps another variety of counselling. It can be a good way to get some free therapy ! Unles one is on Lithium and needing occasional blood tests of lithium levels, I can't off-hand think of blood tests that would be interesting in such a trial.
Maybe you should ask for some free treatments for needle phobia, before the main trial starts ! ?
I haven't heard of this specific trial, it's uncommon for there to be funding available for the major trials of CBT we need, in this country --- maybe they're wanting to compare it with some form of medication ?
Anyhow, they MUST provide you with more information, explanation and a discussion of any questions you have, before signing you up --- that's an absolutel requirement for the informed consent they would have to have