Posted by: Mark | 2008-11-18

Bipolar - not coping at work

Hi CS hope you are doing well.I have bipolar disorder and i am an accountant. I need to be able to work under alot of stress and my workload is very heavy. I am not coping at work, some days I just stare at my computer and pretend to be working, I find it very very hard to function and complete my work, and my work is getting behind, everyday i am just getting more and more work. Should i consider changing careers.Wish I could just find something not so intense and stressful.How can i cope better in the workplace too??I have thought of changing careers, but then I wont be receiving the salary I am getting and then I wouldnt be able to pay my bills, WHAT CAN I DO, WHAT IS MY OPTIONS

You're probably a very good accountant, with no need to change careers, but should see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and a discussion of treament options --- with medications like mood stabilizers to handle the Bipolar Disorder better, you may return to coping fine with your work. CBT counselling can help explore how to modify your work so as to avoid stress ( wheere it's avoidable ) and to handle stress better when it isn't al;together avoidable.