Posted by: Tosca | 2009-01-20

Bipolar mom of meds

Hi doc

Hope you can help. My mom was diagnosed with bipolar about 4 years ago. She went of the meds about a year ago, because some speaker at church said she doesnt need the meds. My mom also now believes that there is nothing wrong with her and that she was diagnosed wrongly. At the moments she is on a high and and its getting worse by the day. She is out of control. She doesnt sleep, go out at nights untill late hours, speaks uncontrolably and if you try to speak to her she doesnt listen, its as if she' s in a diffirent world. She will not listen to any reason. She says she' s happy and that we don' t want to see her happy. She' s lost touch with reality and she hates her family for trying to help her. What advise can you offer me to handle this situation?

How sad. People as ignorant and irresponsible as that church speaker should be prosecuted for prac tising medicine without a license, and, if the people gullible enough to listen to their nonsense come to harm, for causing damage. What qualifications did that fool claim to have to speak so irresinsibly ? Her life is in danger ( people can die during a high or low ). And one of the pr oblems with a Bipolar high is that people may often enjoy it and resist the treatment they so much need. You should speak to her psychiatrist ---If she is getting out of touch with reality and in some real danger to herself or others, it is possible she may need to be admitted compulsorily under the Mental Health Act for assessment and perhaps for treatment.