Question
Posted by: Tired-of-struggling | 2010/03/01

Bipolar misdiagnosed?

Good afternoon

I truely hope doc can give me some answer cause I really feel like I''m at the end of my energy.

I have been diagnosed with depression when I was 16. The diagnoses was changed to bipolar when i was 24 (i am now 29). The reason the diagnoses was changed by my psychiatrist was because that I get manic episodes, but more commenly depressed.

Since then I have been on so many different medications, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, etc. Currently Im on Lithium 800mg, Seraqual XR 100mg, Lamictin 100mg and until recently Venlor 150mg. So far I also had 14 ECT treatments since October last year.

But despite all of this, I get depressed more and more every day and am now at such a point where I cant go on anymore, I dont have the energy anymore. Is it possible that I have been wrongly diagnosed and that all these mood stabilizer actually make me more depressed? Can mood stabilizers do that? The " manic episodes"  are very seldom and when they do happen theres always alcohol involved? Is it possible that the alcohol causes the erratic behaviour and not bipolar?

I really really dont know what to do anymore! I am really at my end! I cant understand why nothing wants to work for me. My psychiatrist tells me Bipolar has the most success rate when it comes to treatment, but why doesnt it work for me? Please please please help me doc! I dont know anymoe...i am tired!

OK, the change of diagnosis from depression to Bipolar is useful, and more a matter of being more accurate as your life story reveals the pattern of your depression, than a change from an initially wrong diagnosis. As bipolar disorder involves mood swings in both direction, after one single episode of depression, one can hardly diagnose it first time round.
The medicines you descibe taking are all likely to be helpful in Bipolar Disorder, though in many of us it takes some time to find the right combination of mood-sabilizers and other meds, and the right doses, to get a Bipolar Disorder under control. They are not likely to make you more depressed.
But alcohol certainly does make people more depressed ( the only reason many people feel more cheerful after a drink is the first part of the brain to be sedated and depressed by the drinking is the part providing our common sense !
Alcohol almost always causes eratic behaviour, in mos of us ; it also distinctly undermines the benefits of antidepressants and other treatments, so shrinks opught to emphasize the importance of avoiding alcohol when one is treating Bipolar Disorder or depression.
Its really a fork of self-sabotage, so if you have been drinking during this treatment, this could be the reason the treatments have not been working sufficiently. If you have been drinking substantially, you may need to decrease the alcohol intake gradually, and should discuss this with your doc

1