Question
Posted by: Susan | 2009-05-26

Bipolar medication

I have Bipolar, would it be okay if I stopped my meds if I felt better

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist:
Bipolar Disorder is a chronic disease like diabetes, hypertension, etc. As such it is usually necessary to be on treatment lifelong.

The treatment goals in Bipolar Disorder is amongst other, to treat the acute episode and then to prevent relapse. Ongoing treatment is necessary to prevent relapse.

No two brains are the same though, and factors such as the severity of your illness, how long did it take you to recover and also for how long have you been well are all important.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough not to stop the medication on your own, but to discuss it with your doctor. You can then make a well-informed decision.

1
Posted by: Madcat | 2009-05-26

Hi there Susan
I would suggest not! Get your doctor to wean you off it!
MCJ

Reply to Madcat