Posted by: Greg Iliffe | 2009-03-22

Bipolar MD = a Income Tax Handicap

Sars that mental illness are limited to serious conditions of mental dysfunctionality.
Would Bipolar qualify as a Handicap for tax medical aid allowances?
What other Mental Illnesses are a Handicap according to the above Sars statement ?

I don't know if SARS has published any list, but they should accept the expert opinion of any specialist psychiatrist as to a diagnosis and whether such a diagnosis meets the criteria SARS has declared. Certainly Bipolar Disorder should meet that condiion. Most disorders needing treatment should meet their criteria. I'd rather like to see a list from SARS of what conditions they consider too trivial to qualify.