Question
Posted by: Fred | 2012-03-26

Bipolar kills my relationship and belief in God

Since I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 my mind has aquired well, a mind of its own. My world view has significantly changed and it seems that I have no control or input over what my mind chooses to believe.
I used to be quite a spiritual person but these days I feel lonely and isolated in a cold universe governed by randomness rather than destiny. I now doubt the existence of a soul and see all human experiences, emotions and everything that I used to believe of as " Spiritual"  as pure cold biological chemical reactions within the brain. It seems that God has forsaken me and rather than using prayer and faith as an anchor to help me through this ilness, this ilness has distorted the very foundations of what I believed in. My greatest wish is that I can believe in God again and embrace all my blessings with childlike wonder but it seems that my mind has involuntary embarked on a journey towards atheism, nihilsm and existentialism.

Hi Fred,
Well, in my experience of depression / bipolar disorder in many people, it seems to me that the chemical disorder scrambles or jams the apparatus through which they connect and "feel" their religious faith, and that the sort of feelings you describe, which are on the surface spiritual / philosophical often arise. And as the condition responds to proper treatment, the transmitter / receiver seems to resume function, and normal spiritual function seems to resume, too. This is obviously fortunate eventually, but most unfortunate in removing a source of comfort just when one most needs it

1

Hi Fred,