Question
Posted by: stressed | 2011/03/01

Bipolar in the workplace

I have been diagnosed with bipolar mood disorder about 4 years ago. I have used up my sick leave as I had a relapse a few months ago and booked myself into a clinic for 3 weeks. I spoke to my superior about my concerns and was told that I have to do what i feel is right. There are days when my concentratioin is affected as well as absenteeism but I am a responsible person and try my best but have now been told my best is not good enough.
What can I do, what are my rights? I was just told that my performance at work is poor and they want me to be evaluated by a medical professional. Can I lose my job? I have always been a loyal and hardworking employee and now I have become a liability. I am terrified of losing my job and do try my honest best. Do I have any rights at all? I enjoy my work and don''t want to lose my job.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Bipolar in the workplace

You need to have a look at the company's terms and conditions, especially their disciplinary code. If your work performance is poor they have to go through their work performance process and procedure. You have your rights in terms of that process.

1
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/03/04

re: Bipolar in the workplace

Reply to Labour Lawyer