Question
Posted by: Christelle | 2011/02/28

Bipolar in the workplace

Hi, I have been diagnosed with bipolar mood disorder about 2 years ago and recently had a relapse. I had t o use all my leave for the hospitilisaton as i do not have any sick leave available. I have been working at the company for 13 years and it is the first time ever that i used all my leave.
I am struggeling to adjust at work and have to force my through the day. Not being able to concentrate and feeling drugged as a result of the change in medication recently, makes my life hell.

What can I do, what are my rights, can I claim incapacity leave? How do I cope?

I sympathize with your situation, but do not have the legal and bureaucratic expertise to answer your question. It must depend, surely, on the precise company policies and interpretations on which your employer works - isn't there an HR dept you could discuss this with, who could give you the right information ? I don't think there are any universal, employer-independent rules on this point.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/28

Are you a member of a Group life scheme at work? If you''re not sure, have a look at your payslip - there will be a deduction specifically for this. If you do have group life cover, it usually has disability benefits for both permanent disability AND temporary disability. What should happen is that your employer should process UNPAID leave (not deduct it from your annual leave) and then you should submit a temporary disability claim to the group life insurer. You can usually claim 75% of your monthly salary for the time when you didn''t have sick leave. You might not get a full salary, but personally I think it''s better than using annual leave for sick leave.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza