Posted by: A away | 2009-01-28

Bipolar in Saudi

We currently live in saudi. Bipolar is not well educated and phsichiatrists are rare. I use effexor,seroquel and remeron. I suspect that I am pregnant. What should I do, is it safe for a baby to continue with the pregnancy or are there alternatives for meds.

OOps. I would think that before living / working, in somewhere like Saudi, one would need to both check out health and mental health resources ( there must be some competent shrinks in the Kingdom ) so you'd know where to do, and also to discuss all such possible situations with your original treating doc, so as to have a plan for such situations. There are numerous alternative drugs for Bipolar Disorder, and your original doc could have suggested some alternatives after checking that they were available in Saudi.
You don't mention where in Saudi you are, but a quick google search for "psychiatrists in Saudi Arabia" gave me numerous links, names and contact details. Try that. There's a Medi-Care Specialty Clinic, and a Psychiatry & Neurology Clinic in Riyadh, the Dr Al Sghayyer Clinics, also in Riyadh, the Icaps Ryshiatrics Service Clinic, and the Dr. Sulaiman Al Ghalaeene Center, and a Polyclinic, in Jeddah, and so on.
THis situation is too complex to handle or for me to advise about at long-distance, and without knowing more details than can be exchanged here. Can you call the doc who prescribed the meds you are on now, and check with him ?

Posted by: A away | 2009-01-28

I talk to my psychiatrist regurarly and have been stable for a long time. All my medication is available here but because of the believes towards woman in general I find it hard to be comfortable with an Islam Dr. I dont want to alarm anyone before I am 100% sure and would like to be able to relax and know a healthy pregnancy is possable.

Reply to A away