Posted by: laverne | 2008-11-13

bipolar episodes

Hi CS i have a problem is it possible to experience a manic and a depressive episode at the same time? my shrink suggests i be put in a hospital but the thing is one day i' ll be suicidal and if they sedate me the next day i wont be a ball of sunshine but i' ll be ok, then i wont sleep and be fine for a little while?
please your advice will be appreciated

It ios possible to experience mixed states. Presumably your shrink knows you best, and has good reasons for wanting you to be in hospital for a short time --- if you don't understand why this is, ask him, and let him explain.

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-11-14

HiI laverne
I' m bipolar and have mixed episodes like you describe and was in hospital a month abck for mania and mixed. I think what p-docs aim for in this situation is to stabilse you on mood stabilser meds, so you don' t swing so extremely and don' t cycle so rapidly.I doubt it will just be to ' sedate'  you - it will be to get blood levels of stablising meds up quicker. In hospital, they can treat more " aggressively"  and get things under control faster, since they can keep a close eye on your reactions to meds.
But do ask your doc why. I quiz mine about what and why!

Reply to Kay in Gtown