Question
Posted by: christine | 2010-04-17

bipolar disorder

hi - i have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was prescribed medication... the people supporting me from two sides had different views on the thought of taking medication and as such i stopped for a while and remained on some but not all... my dr through frustration has decided to give me medication to get off medication as she feels i am indecisive about taking it and since i am not heeding her advice - she feels i should experience for myself the effects of being off med completly and decide from there... what am i to do as i am afriad when i am not on meds i will have an episode again...
please help.

Its excellent for people to be emotionally supportive and generally helpful when one has any sort of health problem. But you really shouldn't listen to the advice of your pals about what meds to take or whether to take them - unless they are at least as fully qualified as doctors as the doc who advised you and wrote your prescription.
And with most of these meds, they would be USELESS unless you took them in the right doses and at the right times - they don't have any benefits just taken now and then. If you have bipolar disorder and have not been taking the poper meds at the proper doses, etc, you do indeed run a real and higher risk of another episode. But taking just a bit of the meds only occasionally is of no value or protection whatever. Either opt in and try the proper treatment in the proper way, and give it a year of so to show what it can do ( that's because the episodes are not so common as to let a treatment show benefits in a month or two )- or stay off them and keep your fingers crossed.

3
Posted by: cris10 | 2010-04-18

i was diagnosed with bipolar2 disorder - ie without severe psychotic symptoms...
i know what i feel, what i do.
people do not understand - please do not downplay my situation as you are not in my shoes...
i don''t believe things blindly and have done lots of research... perhaps why i have been so cautious with medication...
all i would like to know is wether i will live a better life when i am more neutral due to meds- i love to create- move and do and be - but sometimes im so busy my mind explodes - and i dofeel depressed for far longer than i do on a high... suicide is a lingering thought during those times and i dont know why.
please dont judge- i was only asking for advice.

Reply to cris10
Posted by: w | 2010-04-17

go to a number of doctors and psychatrists and get more than ONE diagnosis - research bi polar online and compare the characteristics with your own situation, dont just blindly believe what the first doctor you went to (even if they are your family doctor) says.

if you really had a psychatric illness like bi polar and you werent taken your meds you would not be posting on this forum you would be accutely psychotic, either manic or very depressed.

Reply to w