Posted by: Despered | 2009-03-25

Bipolar disorder

I think that my sister might suffer from bipolar disorder. I myself have been diagnosed with Clinical depression, and my mother have suffered from it a couple of years ago. My sister is 29 years old, and seems to be getting worse by the day. The problem is that she does not think she has a problem, and get very offended when we try and talk to her about it. We have had someone close to her, to whom she looks up to talk to her and try to get her to get some help, but no luck. How can we get her to relise she has a problem and to get some help. We are scared that she might do something stupid.

There's an increased risk of Depression and Bipolar Disorder in members of a family where other members, especially parents and sibs, are affected. With any sort of problem it's much more difficult when the person doesn't think there is a problem, or wants to ignore that possibility. But like the old saying, you can lead a horce to water but you can't make him drink. You can encourage the person to seek help, but some people need to get in to a real crisis before they acknowledge that they need help, even if this is rather obvious to everyone else. Sometimes, you can avoid direct confrontations ( which may make her more determined to deny it all ) and rather talk about your own expriences, how hard it was to reluctantly accept that there was something wrong and to accept help, and how much better life has been since you took those steps.