Question
Posted by: gizelda | 2012-10-08

Bipolar Depression: Are my meds not working?

I was recently diagnosed with bipolar depression, after i had a very manic period for a few months, actually. i was admitted to an institution, for 3 weeks, and whilst bening there i felt fine. I was released more than 3 months ago and i am on meds. Lithium(i think 100mg twice a day) and Epitek(200mg). i am however so incredibaly depressed, so much so that the only thing i want is to die. every day that is all that i can think about, and i am forever imagining how i will end my own life. my mom committed suicide, as well as her mom, it almost feels like my " destiny" . The only reason i havent done anything yet, is because of my beloved son, which is only 8. How do i get thru every day though, and it upsets him too to see me so down and out.

i am considering leaving all medication, as my troubles started when i started taking this. could i not go on alternative things like st johns wart - and any other ideas will help. i have tried so much to pray, but it feels like even God has forsaken me. i am so desperate.

any thoughts on shock therapy? i need to start feeling better!!

Lithium and Epitec are routine treatments for a manic phase and to stabilize the mood swings of a bipolar disorder, but are not treatments for depression as such, and in a depressive mood swing, other meds such as antidepressants will be needed. And a family history of suicide as well as your suicidal thoughts make this a genuine emergency needing urgent attention. As you recognize, I'm sure, it would be damaging to your son and everyone else who cares about you ( usually more people than you realize ) for you to harm yourself in any way.
I doubt that these meds caused this depression, and this is probably part of what was already developing, but they're not ENOUGH to treat this well.
You URGENTLY need to arrange to see a good psychiatrist, privately or through an Emergency Room of a hospital. You can indeed be feeling much better before too long with the right comprehensive treatment. Can\t yopu see again the doc who made the diagnosis and provided the present prescription ?
St Johns Wort would be useless in any serious depression like this, but there are many prescrtiption alternatives.
As for praying, in my experience, depression often seems to act like a scrambler, blocking the sense of connection and comfort someone usually gets from praying, but with proper treatment of the depression, this satisfaction will also return

3
Posted by: gizelda | 2012-10-08

Thank you both for your kind words of encouraging.
I have spoken to my doc, which gave me welbutrin script.
also on waiting list for shock therapy next week. Thanks!

Reply to gizelda
Posted by: Maria | 2012-10-08

I hope you have discussed this with your psychiatrist? It''s vital that you tell him or her what you just told us. It can take some time to tweak meds until it''s quite right for you, and it could be that you need an anti-depressant added to your -|- tail. St John''s wort will be useless in your situation. Please call your doc and ask for an emergency appointment. You deserve to feel a whole lot better, for your own sake and your son''s, and this is quite possible. Take care.

Reply to Maria